Hi list,

I'm pleased to announce the release of an update for my Lunary library. The
primary website is now at:

    http://piratery.net/lunary/

Here is a little introduction:

  Lunary is a framework to read and write structured binary data from and to
  files or network connections. The aim is to provide an easy to use interface
  to describe any complex binary format, and allow translation to Lua data
  structures. The focus is placed upon the binary side of the transformation,
  and further processing may be necessary to obtain the desired Lua
  structures. On the other hand Lunary should allow reading and writing of any
  binary format, and bring all the information available to the Lua side.

To use it you can either download the sources from the Mercurial repository,
or use LuaRocks:

    luarocks install lunary

Among the changes since my first release:
  - all serialization functions now work on stream objects, and wrappers are
    provided for Lua files, LuaSocket TCP sockets, and plain string buffers
  - added support for bit-sized (instead of byte-sized) data types (currently
    only integers, but they are easy to wrap)
  - relegated the serial.serialize functions to second-class rank, since they
    cannot handle bit-sized data types well
  - simplified the type list (merged similar data types)
  - a few new data types (uint, sint, uint64, sint64, mapping, char and
    taggedvalue)
  - bytes2hex and bytes2base32 became hex and base32 wrapper types

See the website for more details and in-depth documentation.

All feedback is welcome :-)

Jérôme.