Sorry for my previous post, seems that sending a mail containing chinese character cause some problems, here is the original post, i hosted the image with the code externally to solve this problem...

Hello, I moved to china some 3 months ago and now that I'm starting to speak the language I'm also starting writing programs that have to operate on strings containing chinese character and i noticed that the string functions behaves in a strange way:

http://grabilla.com/02c04-7e7304b2-422c-4fc8-8dc9-3d8058e996cf.png

it seems that every chinese character is counted twice. That was not a problem since all the string functions behaves like this and their results are then compatible but I was interested in the reason behind this results, I guess it is somehow related to the code used to represent them but I'd like to know a precise explanation!
Thank in advice for the help and sorry for the grammar mistakes i probably made but english is not my motherlanguage!

p.s.
I hope chinese character works fine on the mailing list or this post will look quite messed up...