2012/11/25 Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br>:
>> So do my bindings to bc and mapm.
>
> There is also a binding to OpenSSL's bn.

On Ubuntu, having OpenSSL installed was not enough: I needed to
install libssl-dev.

bc is slow, already 50000-digit numbers take 3 seconds on my hardware
— but requires no installed libraries.

bn is better: 200000-digit numbers multiply in less than 3 seconds.

Python does 4000000-digit numbers in just over 3 seconds.

GMP multiplies 1000000-digit numbers in less than 0.5 seconds.

I haven't tried the mapm binding: the third-party library required is
not in Ubuntu.