Sorry I don't WHY there is a problem. I assume I would get the same effect with a recursive function. So

local f
local f = function () <ref to f> end

doesn't work but the following doesn't

local f
f = function () <ref to f> end

The second one is from the 5.2 manual as the expansion for

local function f () <ref to f> end

Why is it like that? Does it need to be like that? Have I missed something in the manual? Or is it just an implementation detail?

Robert