On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 09:00:38PM -0500, Javier Guerra Giraldez wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 7:09 PM, Rena <hyperhacker@gmail.com> wrote:
> > An issue I've found with this idea though (really any HTML generator) is
> > HTML is pretty silly. There are some tags that have to use short form, and
> > some that can't:
> > <script src="foo.js" /> -- invalid, and browsers will treat this as an
> > unclosed <script> that will eat the entire page
>
> oh, yes i hate that!
>
> back when XHTML was 'the way to the future', i couldn't understand how
> so many people actually defended that inconsistencies.
>
> when XHTML died, a bit of my faith in humanity died with it.  :'-(

I gave up on web programming years ago, after that debacle--when the XML
haters at WHATWG won the day. But I recently discovered that all the major
browsers now support XSL transformations, including IE, Chrome, Safari, and
Firefox. In fact, with the exception of Chrome, it works identically either
locally or remotely, which really eases development. Skechers.com is the
most prominent example. Plus, there's a half-hearted XHTML5 specification
which works just fine for the most part.

This has restored some of my faith. XSLT support appears to have stagnated,
but I'll be happy as long as it remains as-is.