On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 12:46:59PM -0500, Rena wrote:
> Well, and using more descriptive variable names (and especially taking care
> not to conflict with common mathematical constants) would also be wise...

Sure it would be wise. Also using *very-descriptive* names (as some lisp
coders do) and _uniq_ names that do not conflict not only with math
constants but also with all other names that someone can use in program
or library. If we could follow simple rule as not to reuse variable
names ever we could happily live without scoping problem! (I am being
sarcastic here, forgive me ...)

What I wanted to say is that it is easy to encounter situation as Egor
has described. There are lot of libraries that one can use is such
manner, not only math. It is not a case that one has in live memory all
functions of all libraries that are used in program. As an example I can
not remember correct spelling for hyperbolic sinus (and company)
function without looking to manual. Not to mention some other library
that I am not familiar as with math.

Martin