On 12 November 2012 21:18, Rob Hoelz <rob@hoelz.ro> wrote:
> Hey everyone,

> So, the question is (if you couldn't tell from the title): why did the
> authors of Lua decide to adopt a closed development process, and why
> does this continue to this day?

Every time I have this thought, I simply remind myself that this team
and this development process brought us the language as we know (and
love) it today.

If I need any further convincing, I simply remind myself of the
alternatives around today that have more open community-oriented
development processes. Then I shudder and continue to code.

Regards,
Matthew

PS. I just present these observations semi-seriously as sample data
points. I do not believe the only way to develop a good software
project is in private, there are many other factors involved. However
I do know that managing a community of contributors is hard to do
well, and I don't blame the Lua team for choosing not to go down that
road.