Hi folks -

I could announce a few very nice things today. I could announce that Pluto (the Lua serialization library) has been tamed. I could announce that people are joining Lua OS now, writing scripts and making logos. I could announce that a GUI frontend/IDE for Mobile Lua (the next-generation Lua) is upcoming.

All of these would make very good announcements.

But there is something else that must be talked about today.

I am still living in poverty. REAL poverty.

I don't know if any of you have ever lived in actual poverty. I didn't think it would happen to me either, being an IT professional and all that... with a resume including employment by Google, Inc.

But it did happen to me. It just got worse and worse over the years.

And it was all just because I realized I couldn't sell myself to evil bosses and evil systems anymore. I just can't. And that's a good thing.

But poverty is not a good thing. It's like being dead or close to that. You're in danger, every day, because the tiniest problem that costs money is a real threat to you. Your computer breaks? Tough luck, you ain't getting a new one. Can't pay the rent anymore? Tough luck, have fun on the streets.

I've been enduring this state for about 3 years now. It's just time to end this, it's too much, I can't do it anymore. I just need a place with some solid walls. Any place really.

Besides, I just can't program something like an IDE for Mobile Lua without electricity at home. Just takes too much time to do this in cafés. (For more details on my situation, see http://luaos.net/pages/cant-do-it-anymore.php).

So something has to happen now.

You know, I tried to make a start-up this year. I did all the things needed for that, and in spades. Which is mainly: advertising, advertising, advertising. I occupied a whole fucking university.

And what did I get? Yes, I got interest, but the people in charge (all the local IT investors) looked at me quickly and turned the other way.

Why? I don't know. I don't think they're sane people. They have their turf, that is all they want. Honesty, fairness - let alone charity - does not matter to them.

So. That's what it is. I need someone to sponsor me.

I really don't need much - although I COULD use a lot more resources wisely too.

But I do need a roof over my head and a simple connection to the local power plant. Yes, that's how basic this is. This is not a joke; it is plain life-and-death matter.

I don't know if you consider it normal that some people in the Lua community have luxury homes (I'll just assume Roberto has a home with electrical power... doesn't he?)... while others who are equally important (I think I can say that) lack even the basic resources of life. I don't have any warm shoes for winter.

So. As I said: Someone just needs to sponsor me, otherwise...

Well there is no otherwise. It's the way this is. And hey, I'm in the news... a sponsor cannot really be that far off. At least that's how I understand the universe. And I do have some knowledge about it.

So... many greetings and thanks for reading. Please do what you can, if you can. Or find someone who can. Or find someone who finds someone... well you know the deal.

Greetz and have a nice day,
Stefan