On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 2:11 PM, Rena <hyperhacker@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the reason combining characters exist is that in some languages the
> number of valid combinations is quite huge. Korean writing for one example
> has each character made by combining multiple base characters.

Except that Korean has all of the combined characters in Unicode too.
There aren't THAT many of them, and not all combinations are legal.

The reason combining characters exist is that it dramatically
simplifies collation. It makes it clear that "A with diaeresis" is
still an A and sorts as one and can be searched for in a body of text
as one.

> Anyway, the clusterpork that is Unicode combining glyphs is not really a Lua
> bug... Probably we should be pestering the authors of the spec.

You're over two decades too late for that.

/s/ Adam