David Collier <myshkin@cix.co.uk> [2012-10-23 10:48:00]:

> I found that luars232 didn't support com ports above COM9.

It does for some time, two years actually[1]. What version are you using?

> O Off topic - I'm running XP - does anyone happen to know if you can
> renumber a COM port on any later Windoze and have it keep working without
> a reboot? I could upgrade my OS if it overcame the issue.

Everything is possible, but it's better to find the COM port by the device
name or USB VID/PID/serial. I plan to add something like "autodetect" (you
don't provide the COM port number/name, but just the regexp with device name
or something like that to connect to that serial port) feature to the librs232
soon, because I'm also tired of this behaviour. On Linux it's quite easy to
fix via udev rules. On Windows I don't know about any similar way. There might
be some registry voodoo, but I would rather have something working in a same
way on all platforms (if it's possible).

> O Can the luars232 and underlying DLL be updated "for everyone" or does
> it have to be fixed user by user.

What do you mean here?

> O How much does a copy of ruddy VC++ cost me?

Do I understand it correctly, that you would like to have updated binary of
luars232 for LuaForWindows? If so, I can compile it for you. Next time it
would be better if you could create an issue on Github. I'll write this
explicitly in the README. Thanks.

-- ynezz