> *From:* "Hisham" <h@hisham.hm>
> *Date:* Wed, 24 Oct 2012 15:47:17 -0200
>
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 8:00 AM, David Collier <myshkin@cix.co.uk>
> wrote:
> > excuse me , but why are you criticising my programming style when
> > all I
> > was asking for is an answer to a technical question.
>
> For two reasons: 1) because the thread subject is "help with lua
> style
> and syntax", so I assumed you wanted opinions on style as well; 2)
> because in your original message one of your criteria was that one
> bit
> of code was "a lot more compact" than the other, so I assumed
> compactness of the code was an issue (hence the remark of the length
> of variable names when you compared two pieces of code).
>
> It was not my intention to offend, sorry.
>
> -- Hisham

Hisham - no offence taken at all - I had a smile on my face!

The 'style' I was thinking of was how one would write the code to do the
equivalent of what is common in C. I thoiught the Lua equivalent seemed
to need many more lines of code, and was wondering if I had missed
something.
[ It appears I may not have investigated what I can and cannot write in
Lua hard enough anyway. ]

I was trying to get it 'more compact' in terms of less lines and blocks,
not in terms of total characters :-)

You are right about long variable names - I use them because it seems
natural to me. It brings some of my colleagues here out in spots.
Each to their own unless th coding standard for the project says
otherwise I guess.

Thanks

David