Am 18.10.2012 15:05, schrieb Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo:
$ lua -e 'assert( os.rename( "testfile", "/does/not/exist" ) )'
lua: <command line>:1: testfile: No such file or directory

The message comes from the OS. There is nothing we can do about it.
Try it on the command line:
	mv testfile /does/not/exist
You'll get
	mv: rename testfile to /does/not/exist: No such file or directory

You are right, "No such file or directory" comes from the OS, but the "testfile: " comes from Lua. I can live with that, but I still think it's misleading.

(mv also shows different messages, depending on whether the old or the new name is incorrect:)

$ mv testfile /does/not/exists
mv: cannot move `testfile' to `/does/not/exists': No such file or directory
$ mv /does/not/exist testfile
mv: cannot stat `/does/not/exist': No such file or directory

--
Wolfram Ladurner