On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Tim Caswell <tim@creationix.com> wrote:
> After starting the luvit project over a year ago, I've learned a lot
> about lua and the ecosystem.  Recently I've decided that cloning the
> node.js environment doesn't have as much value as I initially
> believed.

Sorry to hear that, although I must say it's not a surprise. Money and
code both talk and money is turning into Node.js code at an impressive
rate. ;-)

[snip]

> LUV
>
> Luv is minimal binding to libuv for lua.  Nothing more.  It exposes
> libuv as a bunch of functions that work on uv_handle_t instances.  It
> will be callback based since libuv is callback based.  Other
> interfaces can easily be built on top.  Once done, I intend to pull
> this back into luvit itself.  I'm hoping other projects can use it as
> well.  It's the most minimal abstraction for libuv possible and many
> platforms/frameworks can be built on top of it.

I'm not by any means an expert on event libraries, but it seems like a
wheel that keeps getting re-invented and most of said re-inventions
are in C/C++. Redis have their own, Luv and Node.js and Luvit have
libuv, Ruby has Event Machine and I think Perl has AnyEvent and half a
dozen others plus Coro for coroutines.

I've read the Redis justification for writing their own instead of
using an existing one but I'm not sure I buy it unless there are
*compelling* performance gains. By compelling I mean at least a
"hemibel" - three times as fast!

[snip]

By the way, is there any hope of Lua support in Cloud9 IDE? I'll be
danged if I'm going to install Eclipse just to get a Lua IDE; that way
lies insanity even on my 8 GB laptop. I'll simply have to limit Lua
coding to things that can be done in Vim. ;-)
--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers
Workbench: http://znmeb.github.com/Computational-Journalism-Publishers-Workbench/

How the Hell can the lion sleep with all those people singing "A weem
oh way!" at the top of their lungs?