Hi

I am not great at figuring out these Lua patterns, here is a litle problem someone might be able to help me with please ?

I have a string that maybe in any of these forms. I will omit the outer Lua string speechmarks for clarity

Fred
"Fred"
'Fred'
\"Fred\"
\'Fred\'

I need to strip any speechmark and backslash characters and just return the string Fred as a Lua string.  The name inside the speechmarks could have spaces or numbers in it just to complicate things a bit

Whats the most concise Lua way of doing this ?

Thanks for any code snippets.

Regards Geoff