> *From:* "steve donovan" <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com>
> *Date:* Wed, 3 Oct 2012 14:22:10 +0200
>
> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 2:14 PM, David Collier <myshkin@cix.co.uk>
> wrote:
> > maybe what we actually need is a "bytecode linker" that can
> > include/exclude sections of bytecode before installation :-)
>
> Possible, but so much easier to do in Lua code....
>
> Curiously enough, I haven't done a classic #ifdef macro in LuaMacro,
> but it's very do-able. It will look pretty much like the C
> preprocessor, however, unless someone can think of a higher-level
> construct.

won't # if fred == nil then

fulfil the purpose?

> The trouble with preprocessing Lua is that matching compile and
> run-time errors up later isn't easy. So with LuaMacro (for instance)
> the code is launched from LM and the line numbers of any errors are
> patched for sensible output.  Thereafter it can of course generate
> standalone Lua files.

At the moment I'm creating .luam files and generating .lua ones from them
then running them manually
I had enough trouble working out how to get eclipse to do that for me :-)
A pre-process->run link is beyond me at this moment.

> Also, are the code and strings for debugging purposes so very large
> that it affects Lua load time and performance?  Premature
> optimization is an easy thing to get lost in...

Indeed - I am thinking ahead to trying to get a worthwhile size of
program inside a single-chip-micro