Yesterday I released a new library for Lua: lua-repl.

lua-repl is a REPL library for adding functionality similar to the
standalone interpreter to an application.  The first release provides
basic functionality and a pure Lua implementation of a standalone
interpreter, rep.lua.  I intend to add the following features in the
future:

  * Asynchronous implementation - so you can use the REPL with your own
    event loop.
  * Plugin system - so you can add functionality to your REPL.
  * Plugins - for the plugin system.

-Rob