William Ahern <william@25thandClement.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:25:27AM -0700, Sam Roberts wrote:

> > I maintain libnet (but did not write it, or make its autoconf system),
> > and system networking APIs vary enormously, I would describe it as
> > non-trivial. auto* is mostly for testing existence of dependencies,
> > when the mere fact that you are compiling on a platform is not
> > sufficient to know if an optional dependency exists.

One of the things that annoys me about autoconf-style configuration is the
idea that the same build commands can build a package with different
features because of some environmental change. I prefer builds that are
reproducible, and that fail rather than quietly disabling functionality.

> The only real issue was my CPP-based byte ordering detection was wrong
> for my DNS packet structure.

http://commandcenter.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/byte-order-fallacy.html

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
Forties: Northerly 5 to 7, decreasing 4 in west. Moderate or rough. Rain then