On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 7:26 AM, Coda Highland <chighland@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm going to have to agree: autoconf is an unnecessary extra step in
> software deployment on modern systems, and one that slows down build
> times for little tangible benefit.

Yes, I have to side with William on this one.  From a user
perspective, the output of './configure --help' is very daunting, and
the key custom configuration parameters (like where your non-standard
Lua is) are hidden n the noise.

Another option is to use Lua for generating the makefile, or at least
the .inc files.  Yes, there is a fair amount of support code (I find
myself coding which() far too often) but that can go into a relatively
small support module that ships with the build. Being inside Lua also
means that you know your module path, etc.

And then you have a fighting chance of getting a cross-platform build working ;)

steve d.