Hi,

Currently I am programming a piece of code what will become a reader
and handler for config files. The starting point was an example code
from "Programming in Lua". The final code should read a config file
with different profiles to setup and handle serial ports so this  is
only an example.

My config file has this layout currently:

    profile{
        first={
            author="Donald E. Knuth",
            title= "Literate Programming",
            press= "CSLI",
            year=  1992
            },
        second={
            author=      "Jon Bentley",
            title=       "More Programming Pearls",
            press=       "Addison-Wesley",
            year=        1990
            }
    }

where "first" and "second" are names of different profiles, which the
user is allowed to name as s/he wants.

A sketch of a snippet of code which reads the config file looks like
this:

    #! /usr/bin/lua
    local count = 0
    function profile (...)

    for key, value in ipairs{...} do
    -- something meaningful here
    end

    end

    function main()
    dofile("data")
    end

    main()

My question is: Is it possible to determine the names of the profiles
(in my example "first" and "second") from inside the code without
further input from the user land?

Best regards,
mcc