Can anyone point me at a tutorial or possibly just give me some advice on how to call the lua c api from a plugin?

Specifically; from lua open a dll and invoke a function, in the function (c code) call the lua c api (eg. lua_pcall()).

I naively linked a second copy of the lua runtime in (ie. as part of the .so) thinking that might work, but I've stumbled into the same issue mentioned all the way back here:

Crashes and burns on newkey() (this is with 5.1.3, which I'm stuck with)

Any suggestions?

~
Doug.