Philippe Lhoste <PhiLho@GMX.net> writes:
> From what I have read in this very mailing list from people more
> knowledgeable than me, there is no real, official UTF-8 BOM...  It
> is an invention of Microsoft, written, for example, by Notepad when
> saving in UTF-8.

Yes, it's a Microsoftism, and causes many problems.

Unfortunately, they seem pretty keen about it (I guess they just don't
care about the effect on non-MS software), and there's MS software out
there (VSxxx Japanese edition, at least) that _forces_ you to use a
BOM if you want to use UTF-8.  As you can imagine, this makes writing
portable source code a bit miserable...

-miles

--
Dictionary, n.  A malevolent literary device for cramping the growth of
a language and making it hard and inelastic. This dictionary, however,