09 July 2012 11:54

From what I have read in this very mailing list from people more knowledgeable than me, there is no real, official UTF-8 BOM...
It is an invention of Microsoft, written, for example, by Notepad when saving in UTF-8.

The Unicode byte order mark is defined by the Unicode standard to be the character U+FEFF (formerly "zero width non breaking space"). The use of the BOM character to identify text files encoded using a Unicode Transformation Format is encouraged by the Unicode Consortium for cases where out of band signalling is not available