> There is still the issue of UTF-8 support in libaries.  It would be
> great if all Lua libraries always supported UTF-8 as a matter of
> course.  I think it would greatly strengthen the language.  Then
> instead of saying "yes and no" to the question "does Lua support
> Unicode?" (see http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaUnicode) the answer
> would be "Yes it provides excellent support for Unicode - using
> UTF-8".

As other people pointed out, one (the main?) problem here is that Lua
relies on C for most of its libraries, so the support for UTF-8
depends on the underlying system. In Linux, for instance, most of
the standard libraries work OK with UTF-8, except for some features
in the string library.

-- Roberto