> True. I was talking about Lua 5.1. It would be great if these changes could be backported.

There are a number of people who wants to have Lua 5.2 features while
still keeping Lua 5.1 (this is by far not the first such request) !
Come on, you have to make a choice. Either you want new features and
upgrade to 5.2, or need stability and stay at 5.1
Backporting features does not make sense to me, and would be very
difficult to explain clearly in the documentation.
I like the fact that a Lua version (say 5.1) is associated with one
documentation and one API.
Lua release numbers (5.1.1, 5.1.2, etc) should remain bug fixes only
as they currently are.