On 6/26/2012 12:08 AM, Enrico Colombini wrote:
On 25/06/2012 17.41, KHMan wrote:
It's not encrypted in a strong-encryption-method sense, I think
[1], but
the compression outcome should be similar.

I tried compressing with info-zip both sieve.number from the site
and sieve.lua from 5.1 (I know, I should have generated the one
from the other, but I don't have lbn installed):

they compress to 387 and 386 bytes respectively, so I guess the
information content could be similar. At least according to a
possibly inaccurate, statistically meaningless single sample with
way too small files :-)

It probably arrived at similar sizes due to different mechanisms. File header overhead (and deflate method overheads) is also significant for small files. I meant that it should not be any more compressible than an equivalent string of digits output by a strong encryption method.

sieve.number is compressed mainly by reducing the length of codewords to under 4 bits per symbol due to 10 symbols (digits), while the stream of digits itself has no real pattern and cannot be compressed via LZ coding.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)