>Because they're indexes, not offsets from a base pointer.
There a lot of positive things when a language makes the index=base pointer mostly when the language want to live in good terms with C/C++

>Readability for non-programmers. Anybody with a half-decent text editor
>will notice no difference in terms of effort to type.
I see, a programming language for non programmers... well I think is time for LUA reviewing this, mostly if the programmer comunity ever becomes the target of LUA...

Anyway, if you are a programmer you should understand that typing is not where the real effort is located... reviewing the code, understanding what you did one week, one month or one year ago, is where the real effort is really located....

Pat