On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 6:52 PM, Dimiter 'malkia' Stanev
<malkia@gmail.com> wrote:
> LuaJIT FFI handles "C" types, and in "C" arrays start from 0.
>
> The solution is to let your users be aware of this from the start.
> No better solution than this.

It's much more complicated than that.  Often it's hard to tell what is
FFI and what is regular Lua.  There is not always a clear separation
because usually a combination of FFI and Lua types are used all at
once.  I run in to this a lot when managing multiple FFI types in a
regular Lua table and I often introduce bugs because of it (and I
supposedly know what I am doing; no hope for a regular user).

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a clean solution because even
changing LuaJIT to use one-based indexing will have problems with
pointer arithmetic and such.

Honestly I think a top to bottom reworking of Lua to use zero-based
indexes is the only clean solution.  That's not so easy, especially if
doing it in the LuaJIT codebase because every library needs to switch
to the zero-based mechanism (even the stack, etc; everything would
have to change).

CR