On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 8:38 AM, steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> wrote:
Ah, but then you would need to extend the meaning of 'path' like so
'[1].two' (because '1.two' means t['1']['two'])

After trying most reasonable alternatives in luasched, we've settled with "1.two" being the only canonical notation for paths; it means [1]["two"], and there's no way to denote ["1"]["two"]. It appears to be the best compromise between simplicity and usefulness, although I'm sure you can invent pathological cases where it causes issues.