On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 9:11 AM, Sean Conner <sean@conman.org> wrote:
> If the compiler complains about -fpic, only then use -fPIC.

I tend to use lake for simple builds like this

lua$ lake -lua foo.c
gcc -c  -O1 -Wall -I/usr/include/lua5.1   -fpic -MMD  foo.c
foo.c: In function ‘luaopen_foo’:
foo.c:18: warning: value computed is not used
gcc foo.o  -Wl,-s -shared -o foo.so

That warning is instructive - we should really do something with the
result of luaL_dostring!

The -MMD is not essential, it's just lake tracking include files, and
you don't have to strip (-Wl,-s)

OS X is ... different

Steve $ lake -lua foo.c
gcc -c -O1 -Wall -I/Users/Steve/dev/lua/src/lua-5.1.4/src   -fPIC -MMD  foo.c
gcc foo.o  -dynamiclib -undefined dynamic_lookup -o foo.so

steve d.