On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 8:40 AM, Rena <hyperhacker@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's what I do now, but I wanted to remove the runtime dependency on
> luac.

You mean luac, the standalone program, or the internal Lua compiler?
I don't think you would save more than 60K from the executable by
leaving out the compiler.  And the compiler is so fast that you would
probably not notice the difference, unless it was a constrained
platform like a games console.

> A compile-time dependency shouldn't be a big deal, though it
> might still be problematic if you're compiling for a different
> platform...

Well, that's why we have flexible build systems that build for any
common platform. (Ideally, that is ;))  The Lua bytecode is then only
one of the binary incompatibilities, and it's relatively minor (e.g
Adobe Lightroom has a modified Lua 5.1 platform-independent bytecode
format)

steve d.