lua.org/gems has a util called vardump.lua, from the book Lua Programming Gems.

It does however have a few bugs (no cyclic check, presence of a metatable suppresses everything else from that level, functions values do not get their key names printed) which I have fixed in my version. Which, BTW, I would like to return to the assets, but there is no mention in the book of how to report bugs or their fixes - anyone know how? Or would be interested for me to post here anyway?

David Warman

--
- David Warman