Emeka <emekamicro@gmail.com> writes:
> A global variable (not a function) that holds the global environment (see
> §2.2 <http://www.lua.org/manual/5.2/manual.html#2.2>). Lua itself does not
> use this variable; changing its value does not affect any environment, nor
> vice-versa.
>
> The above is still confusing, what is it used for? And why is it there at
> all?

It's for your convenience (as a Lua programmer) ... just in case you
wanna see what's in the standard global environment (in convenient
table form).

E.g. a common use is to list all global variables:

   for k,v in pairs(_G) do print (k, v) end

-Miles

--
Saa, shall we dance?  (from a dance-class advertisement)