On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 11:06 PM, Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:

>> Still, seems to be not an aesthetically good idea to enforce
>> semicolons in formatter. Maybe detect that somehow and put only when
>> needed?
>
> Indeed, and I'll bet _always_ emitting semi-colons will put off a lot
> of people from using a code formatter -- in _practice_ semi-colons are
> basically never needed, so their presence makes Lua code look pretty
> alien...

Formatters are always such a provocative topic :). Invariably my
default settings are going to upset some large subset of Lua
programmers.

Turning off what you don't like isn't that difficult (despite the lack
of options). That includes the semicolons. Handling the case where
they are necessary or keeping the ones already present in the source
code is an exercise for the reader.

--
- Patrick Donnelly