I'm not sure how to describe it, but you go to any language forum, and then there is .... make OS in this language :)

In the past some of the demo groups wanted to make their own OS for showing off demos. While it seemed cool, the question was - who's gonna install that OS just to see the demos... For them it was like buying a special device to watch commercials (then again, it was worth watching).