On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 6:25 AM, Alessandro Delgado
<adelgado1313@gmail.com> wrote:
> What I'd /really/ like would be a fully Lua-based operating system. Sure,
> some some C or assembler here and there, but the least possible.
>
> Taking something like eLua booting on bare x86 and make it up from there.

eLua already boots on bare x86. But that doesn't mean anything in real
life (besides looking spectacular :) ). I've thought about this idea
often, from different angles, and the conclusion is always the same:
you'd need a huge amount of work/man power to make eLua aware of all
the hardware out there. I simply don't see this happening. IMO, the
best solution to this is something like Lunatik. Take an already
existing market proven open source OS (Linux/xBSD for example),
integrate Lua in the kernel, then write as much as possible in Lua,
while keeping the tremendous driver base you'd find in the OS. This is
a very complex project in itself, but much more likely to succeed as a
"let's write almost everything in Lua" approach.

Best,
Bogdan