> The example in the 5.2
> manual page 18 implies this but it is never explicitly stated.

That example actually spells out clearly what you should do
do if you feel uncomfortable with the undefined property
of duplicate table keys in a table constructor.  So:

(a) Making it deterministic will ruin optimization of sequences
in table constructors .
(b) It's easy to avoid the problem at the Lua source code level.

This discussion is not going anywhere.  It's been honored
by a contribution from Roberto himself, from which it is
quite clear that the Lua designers are not going to
ditch the optimization of sequence constructors.

I forked this thread originally, but I accept that duplicate
keys in a constructor is never going to be good Lua with
predictable behaviour.

Signing off this thread,
Dirk