On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 17:33, Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:

Anyway, all I'm trying to say is that it is possible for a program to
run into this limit, which might otherwise work fine (and that the GC
issues Mike mentioned aren't necessarily a limiting factor).

One such case is multi-threaded applications where each thread has its own Lua environment. For example we run some our server-side applications which embed Lua on 8 core servers so we have 8 worker threads each with its own Lua environment. This means that on 64 bit platform giving equal usage each Lua environment can address at most 1/8 Gb what is not that much. Long term as number of cores increases even more the current limitation on amount of memory LuaJIT can address will become even more severe.

--
Ilya Martynov, ilya@iponweb.net
CTO IPonWEB (UK) Ltd