> by the number of messages the list sees about this would
> indicate there is a problem with "#" from a user perspective.

Those threads have these properties in common:

1. They are started by someone who has only recently
    joined the list (including me, December 2010).
2. That person did not take the trouble to look in the
   archives to see what has already been said (including
   me, December 2010)
3. Most of the material simply retraces where we have
   been before (incuding me, December 2010)
4. As that person gets to know the topic better, the
   wisdom of the decisions made by the highly
   experienced Lua team starts to penetrate even his
   thick skull (including me, April 2012, I hope)

Petite Abeille has summed it up nicely.

    Grok the length operator "as is" and get on doing whatever
    things you meant to do with Lua in the first place.