There is in 5.2, but not in 5.1, unless you dig into the internals (not portable).
One workaround is to assume that the L used in your luaopen_xxx is the master state, and store it in the registry.  But that still doesn't help you, since the registry isn't necessarily safe to access from a separate thread.

Is there really no way to attach the structure to the callback itself? Most callback-oriented APIs allow the attachment of a userdata pointer to avoid using globals.