> > Yes, but %0 is only available for string replacements. %1 is
> > synthesized to be the entire match for all types of replacements, as
> > this is convenient for all non-string replacements.
>
> I don't doubt you but I can't read that out of what it says in the manual:

If you want to understand what is going on, Peter gave a good explanation.

If you want to be picky, the manual does not say that it is an error for
'gsub' to access a non-existent capture.

There is a myriad of cases that the manual does not explain
what will happen. For all of them, assume a clause: "If
<something-not-explained-before-or-after> happens, the behavior is
undefined".

-- Roberto