On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 8:03 AM, Rena <hyperhacker@gmail.com> wrote:
> Of course from there the idea quickly morphs into "what if we didn't
> need to write a library at all, and could just call the functions from
> Lua directly", which is what Alien and such do... need to look into
> those I guess.

So you need a compiler... and here enters LuaJIT, where Lua + ffi is
often going to be faster than Lua + C extension. LJ also has a most
cool feature (relevant to this discussion) where it will compile Lua
modules as object files which can be linked with the executable.

BTW, it would be a cool idea if a group of people could collect
references to LuaJIT FFI-bindings on the wiki, plus optimization tips,
since it's often not obvious what flies and what crawls.  Definitely
sufficient material there for a collaborative open-book.

steve d.