> IMHO it's the job of a JIT compiler to create such an intermediate
> structure, should the need arise. Neither the user should have to
> deal with it, nor the VM as a whole. A simple growable buffer
> looks like a better choice than ropes for that.

I don't get your distinction between a "JIT compiler" and a "VM as
whole", why shouldn't a Lua vanilla VM implementation, that is one
that does not generate assembler, not generate optimized intermediate
structures, if this improves performance? That has nothing to do with
being a JIT or classical implementation.