> Indeed. I'm pretty sure that I use very long strings as index all
> over the place. But does this patch indeed prevent long strings to
> be unique indices? For me the interning of strings is one of the
> charms of Lua.

This patch does not change anything in the semantics of Lua. The
interning of strings always has been and continues to be invisible to
the programmer. It only afects performance, in both directions.
(There is a cost for interning a string.)

So, the question is: thus the savings in not interning some strings
compensates the losses in performance in indexing some strings? The only
way that I see to answer that is profiling real programs.

-- Roberto