On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 4:43 AM, steve donovan
<steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'll go so far as to say that if a package consisting of more than
>> a single Lua file does not install by `luarocks install pkgname`,
>> I'm usually too lazy to install it.
>
> Which is why Hisham needs our support, he's running key infrastructure.
>
> I'll make μL available as a rock, as well, so people can use it as a
> lightweight dependency.  It can be a bit unfamiliar at first, making a
> rockspec, so one thing we can do is package existing projects (most
> developers are fine with that if asked).  One area that needs
> attention is GUI kits - I think only ltcltk works out of the box
> (although the tcl/tk headers have an annoying habit of moving around).
>  I'm thinking of things like IUP (LuaGnome is available directly from
> the Debian/Ubuntu repos)

There is a rockspec for lgi, which gives access to Gtk+ through
GObject introspection. Getting the external dependencies right is
fragile (I had to recompile my Gtk+/GObjectIntrospection/etc. a number
of times in order to get the required versions running), but I did
manage to get one of the examples running that produced a Gtk+ window
(lgi also allows access to GStreamer and other gobject-based
libraries). My system is pretty non-standard, though, so I think the
difficulty in getting the correct libraries was on my end.

Also, I put a rockspec together for lqt -- I couldn't find a release
package for it, so I created a rockspec based on
https://github.com/mkottman/lqt and uploaded it to the rocks-scm
repository (where unversioned SCM-based rockspecs live). It uses the
cmake backend (so cmake must be installed in order to build it, and
the checks for external dependencies is done by cmake). There was a
bug in the cmake backend, so the latest LuaRocks 2.0.9 is required.
SO, with cmake and the latest LuaRocks installed, build lqt as a rock
can be done like this:

luarocks build lqt --server=http://luarocks.org/repositories/rocks-scm/

I was able to run examples from the test/ directory in Michal
Kottman's repository.

-- Hisham
http://hisham.hm/