Hmm.

Then maybe I should try both and see what works best. So far I've
assumed lua threads would be cheap, but I don't really know, and I
have no idea how lua threads implemented.

I think a combination of Kevin's and Doug's suggestions may work well,
where I have a table of handlers store as an upvalue. Or I could store
the table in the environment of one of my userdata, something like
that. I guess I wanted to try threads because it seemed like a neat
approach, but I'll have to see if performance is an issue.

I'll report back later if I find anything surprising.

-- Tim