Javier Guerra Giraldez wrote:
[...]
> fossil fan here.  i use it for all my 'private' projects, and also at
> work(s).  the ease of branching/merging, commit without network, etc.
> others have mentioned are there too, and i guess it's common to all
> modern DVCSs.  for me, the fossil advantage is the integrated ticket
> system, wiki, documentation and collaboration, while still being so
> easy to deploy.

I would love to use fossil, as the minimality, elegance and ease of
deployment appeal to me; but there's very little tooling available (like
an Eclipse plugin), and very little on-line support. Most of my projects
are hosted on Sourceforge which doesn't support fossil.

[...]
> - to contribute to somebody else's project, whatever that project was
> using.  so far, all of them are github. (there used to be a couple on
> SVN, but migrated some time ago)

I use SVN at work and loathe it --- slow, clunky, merges are difficult,
etc. (Still haven't gotten my head around tree conflicts yet.)

I've tried to use git, and never really got my head around it. I find
the user interface willfully obtuse and a lot of the underlying concepts
needlessly complex. (For example, having to commit stuff to the index
and *then* commit it to the repository --- never figured out what that
was for.) One of my standard workflow routines is to compare the working
directory with head and revert unwanted changes individually; I still
don't know whether this is 'git reset --hard', 'git reset --soft', 'git
revert', 'git checkout', 'git checkout HEAD', 'git checkout HEAD^'...

The VCS I actually use in real life is Mercurial. Mercurial does
everything git does, and indeed even *speaks* git so you can check out
git repositories with it, but has a vastly simpler workflow and syntax.
Particularly if you're used to SVN or CVS. It just makes sense to me, in
a way that git doesn't.

There's an excellent Mercurial tutorial here: http://hginit.com/00.html

The Mercurial Eclipse plugin is pretty manky but is functional; last
time I looked egit wasn't (but I think they've done lots of development
since then).

│ "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
│ telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out
│ how to use my telephone." --- Bjarne Stroustrup