I wanted add to, "why immutables?" my experience is, they start to pay
off when doing a hugh project that is complicated. Yes with all this
tiny snippets we use in mailinglists to discuss and judge languages,
immutables feel stupid. But the larger the project gets with
interconnected data, the harder it gets to track who changes what
under which condiions, etc. You might even get where I was, you copy
each and everything all the time, since you are not sure which part
might change the data under your feet at what point. That is all
solved with immutables, if you hold a pointer you are sure it won't
change unless you reread its (global) content holder again.

Maybe you got bigger projects than me, that have even more complicated
data structures, and you manage well without immutables. Well, great!
You are just way smarter than me, to manage it all well! I go for
stupid me, and aim for techniques that make my life simpler.