> Immutable variables, not so easy.

Immutable variables is a full compile-time thing. Unless you evil-hack
into _ENV to change a value in background, any write access to a
variable is visible at compile time. No need for runtime support.

> Everything can go into a module...

That is only taking the bad things and ignore all the good optimization things.

> I'll sit down and write the code next time I feel I really need these
> immutable thingies.   Which probably means never.

Which is a logical conclusion only if taking the former assumption.