It was thus said that the Great Christopher Berardi once stated:

> I'll be honest, from what I've seen of git, I've not been impressed.
> But, it also isn't the only game in town. Others include the old men in
> the game, cvs and svn, git's cousin mercurial, bazaar, fossil, and many
> others (I'm currently using fossil myself).
>
> If git is indeed the most popular, as is hinted at in the above quotes,
> what factors make it so as opposed to its competitors?

  I use git, and I prefer it because I find it easier to use.  Back when I
used CVS, it always struck me as difficult to set up a new repository, and
it only tracked files on an individual basis and it didn't track directories
at all (or renaming of files---you lost history).  With git, making a
reposity is a no-brainer; it tracks nearly everything without hassle, and
merging branches is a no-brainer (which is not something you do lightly, if
at all, under CVS or even SVN).

  In fact, I think it's the branches that's one of the killer features of
git.  That, and that you can commit when the network is down.

> Also, do most of you distribute your code on a public source hosting
> site (sourceforge, github, and bitbucket seem to be the most popular)?
> Or do you host it on your own site?

  I host tarballs on my site [1] but I've also gone ahead and moved some of
my projects to github as well [2][3].

[1]	http://www.conman.org/software/

[2]	https://github.com/spc476

[3]	SPCDNS, syslogintr, ipacld and lua-conmanorg are projects I have on
	github that use and/or are written in Lua.