On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'm happy to announce LuaRocks 2.0.8. LuaRocks is a deployment and
>> management system for Lua modules. (For more information, visit
>> http://luarocks.org )
>>

> Now if, already having an older version, one could simply say
> "luarocks install luarocks", life would be beautiful!

Support for this is almost(?) there. If you unpack the tarball, and
run ./configure as usual and then "make bootstrap", it will install
LuaRocks using LuaRocks itself and then it shows up in "luarocks
list".

Caveats:
* I forgot to update the version number in the rockspec shipped in the
tarball :-(
* I'm not currently uploading rockspecs for LuaRocks versions in the
main repository to avoid confusion with non-"bootstrap" installations
(such as the ones handled by system package managers). LuaRocks needs
to mark in its configuration at build time whether it was installed
traditionally or via "bootstrap" and check that when updating itself.
I haven't implemented this yet.

-- Hisham
http://hisham.hm/